You may obtain a learner’s permit if you are at least 15 years old, have completed an online or traditional classroom course and enrolled in an approved behind-the-wheel training course. You must show proof of enrollment by presenting a valid Certificate of Driver Education enrollment form provided by an approved driver education school*. The following is needed to obtain a Learner’s Permit:
- Pass State-written knowledge test
- Present Certificate of Driver Education (CDE)
- Original Birth Certificate and Social Security Card
- Two bills for proof of residency
Visit the BMV website for a complete list of requirements.
*It is CIESC’s policy that the Certificate of Driver Education Enrollment form be issued after successful completion of the class phase. This form is not issued at enrollment.
Road Test Waiver
Driver Education grades are based on pass/fail.
CIESC may provide the final Road Skills Test if:
- Student successfully completes both the classroom and behind-the-wheel instruction with Driver Education from CIESC.
- Completion certificate on file if the online class was not completed by CIESC.
The Driver Education Road Test is not available if enrolled in online class only, traditional class only, or in-car instruction only.
Probationary License Rules
Defined as “a license issued to an individual less than twenty-one (21) years of age.”
Students that have met the following requirements may apply for their probationary license at 16 years and 90 days:
- Successfully pass driver education program (both class and in-car instruction).
- Held permit for 180 days.
- Successfully complete final Road Skills Test either with Driver Education or BMV.
- Completed a fifty (50) hour log.
All drivers that have not participated in a driver education program (both class and in-car instruction) may apply for their probationary license at 16 years and 270 days.
All drivers up to age 21 must adhere to the 180 day passenger and night-time restrictions.
- No passengers except sibling, child or spouse.
- Front seat passenger must be 25 years or older with valid license.
- No driving between 10pm and 5am.
- No cell phone use while operating vehicle.
In order to obtain your probationary license, each student:
- Must schedule and pass the road skills test, with the license branch or with CIESC.
- Must hold their Learner Permit for 180 days.
- Must be at least 16 years and 90 days (after completing a Driver Education Program, 16 years and 270 days without driver education).
- Must submit to the BMV a log of 50 hours of supervised practice driving. A copy of the log can be found here.
- If participated in driver education, must provide the driver education completion certificates to the license branch or CIESC test instructor.
- Online Completion Certificate (on company letterhead), and
- Behind the Wheel Completion Certificate (State Form 55745).
- If you completed the traditional class and in-car, only the State Form with sections A and B completed would be required.